Every year kids usually have a great time picking out their Halloween costumes and who they want to be right? Well, this year was a total nightmare for my kids and especially their mother. Taylor wanted to be Snow White, then she wanted to be a witch, and then she wasn't sure. When I asked Ashlynn she wasn't sure either so I told them that I would go and see what I could come up with. While Ashlynn was at school and Taylor was at preschool, Brayden and I embarked on our Halloween costume search. We went to a couple of stores but ended up at Party City because they seem to have the cheapest costumes and the greatest selection. If you haven't been to Party City during Halloween time, your missing out. It's kinda like a haunted house. They have every type of scary statue talking to you, pulling off their heads, removing their faces to reveal scary skeletons underneath and every other thing you could think of. I thought is was cool until I looked down and saw the look on Brayden's face. He was completely frozen with fear. All he could do was grab my arm and say "scary!" I had to pretty much cover his eyes and ears while we passed all the "scary" stuff to the back of the store where all the costumes are. Once there, you are faced with this huge wall covered with pictures of every costume they offer in the store. When you pick out what you want the lady goes back to the "back room" and finds what you want. Again, I was having a good time looking at all the cool, creative, costumes until I looked down at Brayden and saw the look on his face. I guess the costumes are also a little "scary". I was pressured into finding something in a hurry before my son started freaking out. I thought if I could find a costume for Brayden first then he might be a little happier, but no matter what I chose he said "NO". Finally, we were able to agree upon a Woody costume from the movie Toy Story, (thankfully it was cheap). Then onto the girls. I decided that I would choose whatever was cute and cheap so I went with a cheerleader costume for Ashlynn and a Minnie Mouse costume for Taylor. 'Yes, I'm done', was my next thought. But oh, was I so wrong. This is where the drama begins. I get home and find out that Taylor absolutely HATES the Minnie Mouse costume but totally LOVES the cheerleader costume. Again, I think this still could end nicely. Maybe Ashlynn will like Minnie and let Taylor have the cheerleader without any complaints. Yet again, I was soooo wrong. Ashlynn comes home from school and LOVES the cheerleader costume and throws a complete fit that Taylor now has decided that she wants to be a cheerleader too. Great, just great, this can't end nicely! Taylor wants me to take Minnie back and exchange it for a cheerleader. Ashlynn breaks down into complete fits, crying and screaming, threatening to boycott Halloween but also threatening to steal all the candy that Taylor accumulates that night while Ashlynn is at home 'boycotting'. Then, to make matters worse she refuses to eat dinner because "I'm just so upset, because I wanted to be the only one in this family to wear a cheerleader costume". I asked her if she would be mad at me if I chose to be a cheerleader for Halloween (that would be a total laugh), and she said YES! The next day I return Minnie because there is no use having the costume if no one is going to wear it. I find a totally different looking cheerleader costumes somewhere else so I buy it for Taylor. Taylor loves it but again Ashlynn comes home from school and throws her tantrum. "She can't be a cheerleader, I'm the cheerleader in the family". Well, to make a long story not so long I'll sum it up. The next day I finally was able to convince them that Ashlynn is the cheerleader and Taylor is the pom pom girl.
Another traumatic experience resolved and on to the next one. If any of you talk to my girls about their costumes make sure you don't call Taylor a cheerleader because she is a pom pom girl. I don't want to have to do any more convincing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment