Monday, February 2, 2009

You know you are in Utah when ....

Utah is an interesting place to live. Living outside of Utah as a Latter-Day Saint and then living inside of Utah as an LDS person is a very strange experience. Let me explain.

You know you are in Utah when .... You go to Office Max to laminate some things and the lady at the desk asks you if it is for Family Home Evening.

You know you are in Utah when .... You go to the beauty salon and while sitting in the chair getting your hair done you notice all the conversations around the room going something like this:
I'm getting off work early today because my husband and I have
an appointment with the bishop. We are a little nervous about what
it will be about.
0r:
"How's your son doing? Is he learning the language
ok? said the beautician. Only to hear the costumer respond
"He's struggling but loves his mission a lot".

You know you are in Utah when.... You go to Costco and see a huge
section dedicated to Greg Olsen and all his paintings and a section of
LDS books (which my husband is not thrilled about. He wants people to
come into Deseret Book.)

You know you are in Utah when.... You get a section in the Saturday
morning paper titled 'Mormon Times' and the 'Church News' also comes
in the paper.

You know you are in Utah when.... Almost every night on the news
there is a story dedicated to something LDS related. Lately it has been
the Draper Temple open house and President Monson's year anniversary
as the prophet.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you. It is always fun to experience new things and being a 'Mormon' in Utah is definitely a new experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss all of that stuff :(. I miss the breaking news that is always church related. When the prophet passed away last year,I didn't find out until the next day which made me sad because I knew if I was in Utah it would have been broadcast on every channel for at least a week.

Amy said...

I feel somewhat that way in Thatcher, although I'm sure it's not to the same degree as Utah. When the missionaries always ask for referrals, I have to be honest and say I don't have any non-member neighbors! I love it here, though.

christy said...

Kind of a nice experience I'd think!!