Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Train them up"

It's interesting to see how my kids act with each other and how they have been able to "train" each other. Ashlynn, as the oldest, knows that she can get what she wants from her siblings if she uses the "I'm bigger" card. The others may fuss and whine but eventually they give in because they know that the eldest card is always trump. Taylor will play the innocent, middle child, I'm just an angel, it's always someone Else's fault, card. If something gets broken it must have been Brayden, not me. If something gets lost, it must be Ashlynn because she was using it, not me. Brayden, on the other hand, has been the most interesting person to watch. Even though he is the youngest and the only boy he seems to have his siblings right where he wants them. He is definitely the king. He has trained them so well that he knows exactly what to do to get the reaction he wants. Not to be disrespectful in any way but it is almost like training a dog. With a dog you use repetition until he learns what you ask of him. Brayden just needs to raise anything over his head, toy, pillow, bat, spoon, anything, without having to say a word and on cue the girls will scream and run. If only the girls will realize they are bigger and can just take away whatever it is that he is chasing them with, but no. They are so well trained they don't think to do that. If one of the girls hurts his feelings he goes to the other one and lays on a huge layer of "woe is me" and now he has his alley against the other one. It is interesting to watch them and how they interact and behave. They definitely have their own roles and place in this family circle. Human behavior in a family setting is very interesting. People always say that two people who are the eldest in their respective families, or the youngest, should not marry. I can see how that might be true in some cases.

Those of you who know me well, know that I have always been the observant type and not real vocal. I think my siblings "trained" me in some ways to be that way. I have siblings who are quite vocal and are willing to share their opinions about anything. I've always enjoyed watching their "exchanges" and forming my own opinions internally. Maybe when they get old and can't speak anymore I can let it all out. Or, on the other hand, I don't want them to drop dead because they hear me say more than two words at once.

2 comments:

jeannine said...

That's so funny! By the way, I really like the background.

jeannine said...

Steph,

I love your blog too but Paige wrote that last comment. She has a lot of free time on her hands this summer. Glad to read the updates. Be sure to check ours now and again.

Love you guys,
Jeannine