Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kids will be kids

Today was one of those days that make you wonder how it's possible that you still have hair left. Sunday's are a challenge in and of itself but add a few "child" moments and you have the makings of a true "humble" pie or at least I hope I'm learning a little humility along with patience. Brayden got a hold of a bottle of bright blue nail polish, (even though Ashlynn promised me she put it away), and proceeded to dump the whole bottle all throughout the house and decorate a few walls. I tried to clean the polish off the carpet with everything I could think of to use; carpet cleaner, nail polish remover, alcohol, vinegar, hair spray, Windex, elbow grease, and I still have a blue carpet entry to Brayden's room. The wall's on the other hand, I will have to paint since the paint was coming off when I tried to clean it. Luckily we still have some paint left in the garage so I just have to do some touch ups. That is the last thing I wanted to do on a Sunday evening, paint. On top of that, Brayden cut open above his eye again right next to his other scar. He will have twin scars above his left eye.
Even with all those crazy moments, my kids still do things that make me laugh. My mom is probably going to die when I tell this next story but I thought it was funny enough I needed to share. My girls have made up this new game that all three kids play and they think it is just the funniest game. I watched them from around the corner yesterday playing this game and I just about died laughing. At first I thought, "Oh, how nice they are taking turns reading books to each other", but after watching and listening for a few more moments I learned the real point of the game. Here is how it works if any of you want to try this at home. I'm sure all the dads will think this is hilarious. First, you stack some books on the floor and make a circle around the books. Second, someone passes gas, or "toots" which is what my kids say, and the other one has to to bend over and smell the beautiful scent, and if she's daring enough to smell, she gets to pick a book. Then the other has to do the same thing. The one at the end of the game that has the most books wins. Now, with John not here I can't blame their unladylike behavior on him, it's me, all me. So I need to pick it up a notch and try and whip my girls in to shape. Why do bodily functions have to be so entertaining for kids? Well, I guess for men it's the same so there really is no good answer to that.
Anyway, Sorry mom if that story makes you blush. I think that it will be one you will remember for a long time. Kids will be kids, right?

4 comments:

Figueroa said...

Sounds like one heck of a day. I am surprised you do have hair left...but patience is a better thing to have! I hope you can get the blue out of the carpet or pray for someone who likes blue spotted carpet to buy the house!

jeannine said...

I want to know who won the contest!

christy said...

Kids will be kids!

Jen said...

I am sooo laughing at the game!! And don't you just "love" spilled nail polish?! Ugh, the boys threw a bottle of mine in the kitchen and now I have lovely purple grout.