Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Brayden...an old man?

The other night John and Brayden had a short but very funny exchange. Shortly before 7:00 Brayden, who was extremely tired, went into his room and climbed in bed. John went in to help him get his PJ"s on and this is how the exchange went:

John- "Brayden why are you in bed so early?"
Brayden - "Because that is what old people do."

I guess he thinks that turning 4 is old. Since he still refuses to go potty in the toilet maybe he has skipped over the middle part of his life and has gone straight to the 'depends' (adult diapers) stage. For everyones benefit I hope he realizes that "old people" don't just go to bed early they also use the toilet. We can only hope!!! I've told him that his 4th birthday may never come until he starts using the toilet. Yes, I know that is kind of a mean thing to say but I have a hard time thinking that I might have a 4 year old that still poops in his pants. I'm open for suggestions. I feel like I've tried everything.

4 comments:

Amy said...

With Ryan we bought him a toy that he really wanted. It was a tractor that was battery powered and made noise and moved and stuff. Each time he pooped in the toilet he got to play with it for 15 minutes. Then it would go back up high where he couldn't reach it until he pooped next time. It totally worked. And worth the $$$. I hate potty training. Jay is now old enough (almost 3) and he refuses!!! I want him potty trained before this next baby comes, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

paige said...

Hey Steph, this is Jeannine. Your problem is very common especially in boys. Unfortunately, potty training at his age is all about control. He is in control and you are not. LOL I would back completely off of the potty training for a while. I would put him in diapers and not even mention the potty. The pressure will be gone and so will the control issue. At some point in the future (not too soon or it will backfire) you can introduce the reward like Amy did but again I wouldn't use any pressure. Just a simple fact that he gets the special toy only during potty times. Then don't mention it again until he initiates it. It all really boils down to the fact that when he is ready he will do it but until then he won't (he is totally in control). Scarry huh!

Prestwich Family said...

Well, you know me, I am kind of mean and old school. Cause in my opinion a four year old is old enough to know better. Maybe he should go without any clothes and then be forced to clean it up if it doesn't make it in the toilet. Of course you would have to supervise. Or maybe you just have to tell him when he wants things (going to the park, school, other things the big girls get to do) that only big boys that go on the toilet can do those things. But the most important thing out of anything is that whatever you do you have to be consistent. No backing down or giving in cause he then has just won the battle again. I know none of this sounds fun when you are sick, tired and all the other things from being pregnant. But I'm sure you don't want two in diapers either!!

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

I had a boy like that. We discussed it over and over as his birthday got closer, and I finally told him, that the deadline was his birthday. When he was 4 he couldn't wear the diapers anymore. As the bag of diapers got lower and lower, I showed him how many were left, and that's all there were going to be. "I'm not buying any more". When his birthday came, he was mentally prepared. The diapers were gone. He was four. That was that. He had to go in the potty.
(OK so maybe I did hide a few diapers so they'd run out in time).